Date: June 27th on Saturday, 2020 from 13:40 to 15:10 (14:40 – 16:10 in JST)
<This was a supplementary class that was done in irregular hours>
Course: Japanese Basic Composition 2
Used app: Video conference on DingTalk, BBS of the class was also used simultaneously to show the students some pictures.
Numbers of Students:
– Self-claming attendance on BBS by inputting “Shusseki”: 17
– Attendances that were confirmed on the display of video conference: 18
– Composition: part of book was shown to the students and they wrote a short essay about their impressions. The article was page 52 -56 of “Iryou-no koto, motto shitte hoshii” by Mr.Jun’ichiro YAMAOKA, which was the No.637 book of “Iwanami Junior Shinso” series. This was about a terminally ill old lady who was brought back to her house for the last moment with her family.
– Reading aloud: A student was called online and asked to read part of his/her draft of paper about tourism of a particular prefecture in Japan. Usually it was 1 minutes 30 seconds.
– Drafting a memo for 1 minutes speech that would be spoken in the next composition class.
Issues and Problems:
So two activities were being done simultaneously in this composition class. While most of the students were writing, one student was reading part of his/her paper. Since I knew that it took time to connect and disconnect a student one by one, I decided to call a student and to ask him/her to read under the condition that the video conference with everyone was going on. It should have been noisy for other students, but I didn’t want to waste time. Today I scolded some students whose attendance and attitude were not good. This must have created uncomfortable atmosphere for other students.