Date: May 22th on Friday, 2020 from 8:00 to 9:30 (9:00 – 10:30 in JST)
Course: Japanese Basic Composition 2
Used app: Streaming on DingTalk, Presentation by Powerpoint with 57 slides
Numbers of Students: 25 out of 28
90 minutes attendance: 16 students
Shorter attendances: 86, 86, 85, 84, 76, 57, 44, 37 and almost 0 minutes.
completely absent: 3 students
Responses to my requests like Quiz answers onto BBS:
Attendance check: 25. One student sent the message of his?her attendance, but the system recorded that student as “Completely Absent”. One student came late.
BBS was not used for quiz in this class as class 1836 on Tuesday. A student wrote 5 answers on his/her note or memo whatever, and then he/she was asked to send five answers right after the class.
Teachings were almost identical to the class for 1836 on Tuesday.
1. Review for the 5-q quiz of the last class.
2. Writing a paper about the sightseeing of a particular prefecture of Japan.
3. Some tips for writing a composition using the textbook.
– Differences between particles “-wa” and “-ga”.
– A sentence that could avoid being “Wa-ga construction” for a Na-adjective “Yuumei-na” by particle “-de”.
– Intransitive verbs for perception ;”mieru” and “kikoeru”
As mentioned in teaching #2, some tasks for writing a paper were assigned as homework.
– Enhancement for the document style.
– Shading your prefecture on the map of Japan.
– Making a table to introduce your prefecture with basic information
– Pasting these figure and map on the draft.
– Start writing the chapters for the introduction of the prefecture and its tourism.
Issues and Problems:
Perhaps it could be questionable as to what I am doing now. The question is whether or not it would be appropriate to teach how to make document style for a research paper in a composition class. There are two reasons why I do this. One is that I was actually criticized by another teacher for what I have done for composition class in the first semester. In order to avoid duplication or “encroachment on other teacher’s territory”, I chose this task. I don’t think any other teachers teach how to write a research paper. The other reason is that this is the only thing that I can deal with right now. I am less experienced to teach composition, but have some experience of technical writings.