Date: June 29th on Monday, 2020 from 9:50 to 11:20 (10:50 – 12:20 in JST)
Course: Japanese Listening 2
Used app: Video Conference on DingTalk. 10 PNG images were uploaded onto the class BBS so that the students could see them separately during the video conference. Although the Powerpoint were also used, it is not to show, but to help the teacher conduct the class activities.
Numbers of Students: 27
– 25 students input a Japanese word “Shusseki” as a self-claming attendance on the class BBS.
– 25 students were confirmed to connect to the video conference.
So it may seem that two students were absent, it was more complicated.
Student A self-claimed, was not confirmed the connection but answered to my call.
Student B did not self-claim, was not confirmed the connection, and was not contacted by me during class.
Student C did not self-claim, but was confirmed the connection, and answered to my call during the class
So the conclusion was that there was not a perfect way to confirm the attendance of a student.
Class hour 3:
– Review of construction “V1-ta toki, V2-masu” and redo the exercises that were already done in the last class. Teaching materials came from Min’nano Nihongo I (red) section 23. Those were shown to the students by PNG images on the class BBS. The practice also included “V1-nai toki, V2-masu”.
Break time between class hour 3 and 4.
– One student was called and talked with the teacher 3 minutes.
Class hour 4:
– Listening to a conversation titled “Dou yatte ikimasuka” that was from the section 23 of Minnano Nihongo I
– Listening to “Inu-no Seikatsu” that also came from Minnano Nihongo. This was actually intended for a preparation for the alternative homework of the final examination. I planned this activity as dictation. But the time was running out when the class got to this activity. So I changed the activity from dictation to listening and writing a short sentence that would express a student’s impression.The students were asked to send their short sentences to the teacher at the end of the class.
– Homework assignment was given as the alternative measure for the final examination. It was a dictation task. The instruction and the listening material was uploaded on the class BBS. The students needed to submit what they wrote on a sheet of paper in the form of digital photographs by 8 in the morning on Wednesday.
Issues and Problems:
– Conversation listening activity in the 4th session was incomplete. Not only just to make the students listen, I should have checked whether or not a student understand the conversation and made them their own conversation in a similar situation.